Thursday 21 January 2010

"My First Post"

Changing over from blog.com to blogspot.com and copying over my 2 posts!haha!
This post was originally posted on 5th December 2009:

Hmmmm, the first post, a slightly daunting prospect!

For those who don’t know, I’m Jenny Creasey a ceramicist currently living in Leicester. MY current work is a collection of porcelain vessels, all designed to reference and imitate paper. After graduating from a Design Crafts course at De Montfort University in Leicester I’ve now gone on to become Artist in Residence there and am working hard setting up my own business. I’ve also won a placement on the fantastic Enterprise Inc program, which gives me office space and a LOT of support in setting up my business.

We (businesses on the Ent Inc program) have a lot of talks and workshops put on for us covering all sorts of business-related topics: finance, marketing, HR, etc. This Thursday just gone we had “How to Write a Press Release,” which was put on by The Phoenix Partners. The workshop itself was very useful and informative, but it was the one to one talk I had with Rachel from the Phoenix Partners that really sparked my interest. We came up with a number of good ideas for my work and how I could use it to generate my self some publicity. It was also a really useful exercise to think about what I wanted to get from any publicity and where I’d need to think about sending my press releases in order to achieve those aims.

I’m used to writing a lot and I really enjoy it, but press releases have me stumped. I find it really difficult to big myself up in third person (“Jenny’s work is absolutely fantastic because….”) without feeling like a prize idiot! With the ideas Rachel and myself came up with I’m going to have to just suck it up and get down to business and start approaching companies with different ideas. It’s scary but exciting though. Following the chat on Thursday I now have a to-do list about as long as my arm! Set up a blog was on my list, at least I’ve crossed one off now!

Over and out.
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment